Information about the 2013 National Conference in
For your planning purposes:
Click here to view a pdf of the plans for the 2013 National Conference in Washington DC or click here to view the same presentation as a video on our Youtube Channel. Includes pictures of the hotel and surrounding area.
Have a music request for the dance? Submit it here.
2013 National Conference
Washington Marriot Wardman Park
June 29 - July 4
The Conference Management Committee is happy to announce details for the 2013 National Conference in Washington DC.
Celebration Banquet guest speaker - Andrew Solomon, author of Far From the Tree.
Conference dates are: Friday June 28 through Thursday July 4. Friday night, June 28 will host a dance, but Registration opens Saturday, June 29.
Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, Washington DC.
The rate is $149/night, plus tax.
Washington DC 2013 Notes and Details:
**Hotel reservations and conference registration will begin on April 1, 2013. Instead of the 2-part registration system LPA has utilized since 2005, this year we will open both the hotel reservations system with the LPA room rate, and LPA conference registration on April 1. This should allow for easier planning for all attendees. Conference Registration Books will be mailed by mid-March so that everyone has access to the schedule of events both online and in print prior to the hotel and hotel system accepting any LPA reservations. More information will be forthcoming in future months.
- Washington DC is easy to navigate by Metro (subway). There is a Metro stop literally at the end of the hotel driveway.
-The first dance will be Friday, June 28 and the conference registration room will open on Saturday, June 29.
-Due to the World Games occurring in Michigan in August, there will be no DAAA (athletic) events this year.
-We will be offering a reduced registration rate for families and individuals attending both the World Games in August and the LPA national conference.
- The hotel has a beautiful lounge and we are pleased to welcome the return of the Barty Lounge. LPA will be providing entertainment each evening in the Lounge.
- The hotel is in a thriving and safe neighborhood. Amenities are right outside the hotel - CVS (drugstore), florist, bakeries and many restaurants to choose from.
-The banquet will be Wednesday evening.
-Thursday is the 4th of July. We plan on having a very casual 4th of July celebration with an optional picnic on the grounds of the hotel. There will be no planned large-scale event on Thursday to view the fireworks. You are welcome to enjoy Washington DC and fireworks on your own.
Off-Site Events: (all events subject to change)
- Sunday: Monuments by Moonlight tour
- Monday: Washington DC Monuments day tour
- Tuesday: Capitol tour
- Monday & Tuesday: LPA will provide a complimentary shuttle bus from the hotel all day making three stops along the National Mall (Smithsonian museums)
- Wednesday: Mount Vernon
- Washington Nationals baseball game, to be decided depending on schedule
- Medical, social and many other workshops
- Medical Appointments with the Medical Advisory Board Members
- Daily Parents Meetings
- Expo of products
- Dances, Fashion Show, Talent Show, celebration Banquet
- Huge kids room area
- And many other receptions, mixers and events!
Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
Smithsonian National Zoological Park - Woodley Park
The White House
Metro (subway system)
DC Circulator (bus)