Scholarships, Medical Grant and Conference
LPA offers different types of grants and scholarships:
1. Travel expenses for individuals with Metatropic Dysplasia to see a doctor at A.I. dupont
2. College and post-graduate educational and vocational grants
3. First time national conference attendance assistance grants
4. Adoption assistance grants. More information about adoption can be found on the Adoption web pages of this site.
1. Team Jack Travel Fund for Metatropic Dysplasia
“Team Jack” Zembsch Travel Fund: $1000 for expenses for kids with Metatropic Dysplasia (or other rare conditions) to travel to duPont Hospital
Jack Zembsch’s family and friends are honored to be able to provide “out-of-pocket” travel expenses up to $1000 to defray the travel expenses for a first-time visit to the Orthopedic Department at the duPont Hospital for Children for a child aged 17 years or younger and diagnosed with Metatropic Dysplasia or other rare dwarfing condition with a similar severe curvature of the spine. The intent is to “lighten the load” for families with moderate incomes to assist in making that very important initial visit a reality for their child. In extreme situations, assistance to duPont may exceed $1000, based upon a showing of exigent circumstances. There is no residency requirement to be eligible. Priority is placed on helping children with Metatropic Dysplasia or very similar conditions. In some situations, the Fund may be used for travel to the LPA National Conference Medical Clinics for children diagnosed with Metatropic Dysplasia or other rare dwarfing condition associated with similar orthopedic issues involving severe curvature of the spine.
2. College and Vocational Scholarships
An Open Letter to Students and applications, including letters of recommendation, are available online from early January and due April 22 in the year prior to the school year you are planning on attending college. For the 2014-2015 school year, applications are due April 22, 2014.
Scholarships are given, in order of preference to:
• members of LPA who have a medically diagnosed form of dwarfism
• immediate family members of dwarfs who are also paid members of LPA
• people with dwarfism who are not members of LPA
• disabled students in general
• non-disabled students who can demonstrate a need for financial educational assistance
LPA scholarship awards shall be limited to two awards for undergraduate studies and one for graduate studies, effective beginning the 2011-2012 school year.
3. Kitchens Fund for First Time National Conference Attendees The Kitchens Fund helps first time national conference attendees offset the costs of attending a conference. Grants average from $300 to $500. Applications due April 30, 2014 for the 2014 Conference in San Diego.
For more information, contact Jon North, LPA VP of Programs.
4. Adoption Assistance Grants